For those of you who have followed my blog for a long time will know, I like to write about random things I find on the internet. It is a hobby and passion of mine, and I haven’t done an Awesome Facts page for AGES so voila; frogs!
– 5000+ species of frog.
– When I was little, I was in flip-flops at the bottom of the garden and I felt something heavy and weird land on my foot. It was a frog! It hopped off again but since then I have always rather liked them as a species.
– They can jump over 20 times their own body length.
– The never close their eyes, even when they’re asleep. I can only sleep with my eyes open in particularly dull maths lesson; got pretty good at it during my time at secondary school, I can tell you. It’s relaxing until you are expected to answer a question.
– They drink through their skin, not their mouths.
– A painkiller 200 times stronger than morphine has been discovered in the skin of a frog.
– Apparently, one type of desert frog can go for up to seven years without water by surrounding itself in a transparent bag that becomes its first meal when rain comes. Weird. And probably untrue. But mainly weird.
– The worlds biggest frog is about one foot long, whereas the smallest is half an inch. How cute would that be?!!!